White Beans on Toast with Caramelized Onions
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Yield: 2 people
The salt in canned beans vary—from no-salt to well-seasoned—so make sure to taste first.If you’re not serving the beans right away, save some of the bean liquid to rehydrate the beans when you reheat them.If you’re serving a bigger, hungrier crowd, you may want to double the recipe. If so, make sure to switch to a large (12-inch) skillet.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or garlic oil from Quick "Roasted" Garlic)
- 2 large garlic, minced (or 4 cloves of Quick "Roasted" Garlic, smashed)
- Pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 recipe A Pot of White Beans, drained and liquid reserved (about 2 cans or 3 cups)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 4 to 6 slabs chewy European-style bread, toasted
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Caramelized Onions
- Heat oil, garlic, and pepper flakes in a medium (10-inch) skillet over medium heat. When garlic sizzles and starts to turn golden, add beans and 1/4 cup bean liquid. Increase heat to medium-high and cook to heat through and blend flavors, 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasonings, including salt and pepper to taste. When bean liquid has thickened and turned creamy, stir in herbs.
- Place 2 slices of bread on each plate; top with a portion of beans and then caramelized onions. Serve immediately.