Planetarian Stuffed Peppers
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Brush the insides, outsides and tops of each pepper with oil and season with salt and pepper; place in a baking pan.
- Meanwhile, mix Lentil-Walnut Mix, rice, Simple Tomato Sauce, and Italian seasoning, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Fill each pepper with a portion of filling. Drizzle 1/4 cup of water in the pan and cover with foil. Bake until heated through and peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. Turn oven control to broil. Remove pan from oven and foil from pan. Sprinkle peppers with parsley and return to oven. Broil until well brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve.
Lentil-Walnut Mix Base
- 1 pound regular brown lentils
- 3 cups walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- Soak lentils in 6 cups of cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt for 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Drain lentils and turn them into a large (12-inch) skillet with 1 cup of water. Cover and bring to full boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-high and continue to cook, covered, until water has mostly evaporated and lentils are just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, a minute or so longer.
- Mix lentils and walnuts and proceed with any Lentil-Walnut Mix Jumpstart recipes. Can be refrigerated up to a week or frozen for a couple of months.