Make it to your taste!
Ready To Enjoy!
A note on serving size
The serving size here isn’t for a certain number of people, it’s for a quart. Because this is the kind of thing that’s really nice to have on hand throughout the week when everyone comes hunting and pecking for a little lunch or a snack. It’s also the perfect thing to bring on a picnic as it travels well. Just be sure to make a double recipe if it’s for a crowd. Our Planetarian Life Recipe Testers who made it for lunch admitted to eating most of it before lunch rolled around.
How to serve Chickpea “Chicken” Salad
There are so many ways to enjoy this “chicken” salad. You can serve it over a bed of greens or on a roll or bread, but my favorite is to serve it with simple Saltines and some fruit.
Chickpea Chicken Salad with Grapes and Toasted Walnuts
- 2 cans (15-16 oz. each) chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup each: diced red onion and celery
- 1/2 cup Silken Mayonnaise or other vegan or traditional mayonnaise
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Pulse chickpeas in a food processor until it is a mix of finely and coarsely chopped, about 15 pulses. Turn into a medium bowl; Mix in onions, celery, mayonnaise, grapes, walnuts, lemon juice, and tarragon. Taste and adjust seasonings, including salt and pepper to taste. Let stand a few minutes for moisture to absorb. Serve. (Can be refrigerated in a covered container for a couple of days.)