Another heatwave, what won’t further parboil us? Kelp Noodles are a marvel!
Made of kelp, aka seaweed, and sodium alginate (an algae emulsifier), noodles are crisp, neutral-flavored, and pair deliciously in myriad recipes. Like tofu, they carry flavor.
No boiling needed! Rinse in cool water and drain. Ergo, less AC to offset boiled water.
Thicken to mimic cooked pasta by rinsing/soaking in warm water, baking soda, and lemon juice, then draining.
- No gluten, carbs, grains.
- Low in fat and calories; high in vitamins and minerals.
- High in Omega-3s, calcium, antioxidants.
- Raw, but processed.
- A marine vegetable!
Plus climate friendly!:
- Grows fast, doesn’t require fresh water, land, fertilizers, pesticides, stable weather.
- Absorbs carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus.
- Purifies water; home to crucial aquatic life.
Laura & Gil
Our friends Laura & Gil Richardson are, in their own words, “imperfect” but they are much further down this Planetarian path than anyone I know. They are a treasure trove of sustainable living inspiration and we’ve asked them to share one simple swap per week that they’ve made (and the products they love) in hopes it might inspire you to make them, too.