- 4 cups pecans or walnuts
- 4 bell peppers any color, cut into large dice
- 6 medium carrots, cut into medium chunks
- 1 medium-large onion, cut into large dice
- 1/4 cup vegetarian Better Than Bouillion
- 6 tablespoons plant-based butter, melted
- Soak nuts in water to cover at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven (or a toaster oven large enough to fit a small Dutch oven to save energy) to 250 degrees.
- Drain nuts and pulse in food processor until finely ground. Turn into a large bowl and return work bowl to food processor. Add peppers, in batches depending on work bowl size, pulse to finely chop. Turn into bowl with nuts. Return work bowl to food processor. Add carrots and process until finely chopped. Turn into bowl with nuts and peppers. Return work bowl to food processor; add onion and pulse until finely chopped and transfer to bowl of ingredients. Add bouillon and butter. Stir to combine.
Slow Cooker Method
- Turn mixture into a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Turn mixture into a small Dutch oven, cover (if cooking in a toaster oven, you may need to invert lid to fit), and cook until brown and juicy, about 4 hours. Reduce oven temperature to 200; continue to cook until tasty and reduced by about half, 4 hours longer.
- Proceed with one of the recipes below or cool Pecan "Meat" and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. Can be refrigerated a couple of weeks or frozen for at least a couple of months.