This recipe is what we call a “Jumpstarter,” because it’s made from one of our bases, Pot of Rice. With a pot of rice made, you’ve got a jumpstart on multiple meals including this Veggie Fried Rice! If you’re just making enough rice for Fried Rice, you can use this recipe for a single, Perfect Pot of Rice.
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 1 block (14-16oz) extra-firm tofu, drained and dried
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sweet sherry or seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts divided
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into medium dice
- 4 cups cooked rice (here's our recipe: Pot of Rice)
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Set a heavy-bottomed 12-inch nonstick or cast-iron skillet over low heat while preparing ingredients. Crumble tofu into scrambled egg-size bits and toss with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, the sherry, and the turmeric.
- Increase skillet heat to high, add broccoli, a light sprinkling of salt, and 3 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook until water evaporates and broccoli is crisp-tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn broccoli into a bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to burner on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until wisps of smoke start to rise from the pan. Add scallion whites and the bell peppers; stir-fry until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to the broccoli bowl. Return skillet to burner and heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil until shimmering. Add rice; stir-fry, breaking up clumps, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add tofu; continue to cook until heated through, a couple of minutes longer. Return the vegetable mixture, along with the remaining 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, the scallion greens, and the peas to the pan; stir-fry to heat through. Serve immediately.