- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 4 cups (1/2 recipe) cooked quinoa from A Pot of Quinoa
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 to 4 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Spices, optional (see below)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Herbs, optional
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin (use cilantro for the Herb and serve with Fruit Salsa made with tomato, avocado, cilantro, and lime)
- Mix chia with 1 3/4 cups water until it thickens to milkshake consistency, about 5 minutes. Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl; add chia, breadcrumbs, scallions, optional Spices and Herbs, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; mix to combine. Form into 8 patties.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. When oil starts to shimmer, add cakes and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 7 minutes total, drizzling in remaining tablespoon of oil once they’re turned to ensure cakes form an impressive crust on the remaining side. Serve immediately with a pan sauce (see Mustard Cream Sauce below), salsa, pesto, or any dressing!
Mustard Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 plant-based creamer such as oat
- 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon plant-based butter
- While the Quinoa Cakes cook, mix broth, creamer, and mustard. Remove cakes from the skillet, increase heat to high, and add broth mixture. Boil liquid until reduced by half and is a thin sauce consistency, about 5 minutes. Add butter and swirl around until it melts. Spoon sauce over cakes and serve.