This recipe is what we call a “Jumpstarter,” because it’s made from one of our bases, Pot of Rice. With a pot of rice made, you’ve got a jumpstart on multiple meals including this Greek Tomato & Chickpea Rice! If you’re just making enough rice for Rice Pudding, you can use this recipe for a single, Perfect Pot of Rice.
The ingredient list for Greek Tomato & Chickpea Rice may be a little longer than the average Planetarian Life recipe but look at the cook time! If you’ve got that pot of cooked rice we keep talking about, this dinner for 4 to 6 can be on the table in about fifteen minutes. How’s that for a weeknight? That’s why we call this recipe a “Jumpstarter.” If you’ve got a Pot of Rice base made, you’ve got a jumpstart on multiple meals including this one! If you’re just making enough rice for Greek Tomato & Chickpea Rice, you can use this recipe for a single, Perfect Pot of Rice.
A Note On Tomatoes
We like how the cherry or grape tomatoes retain their shape in this dish. But, if you don’t have them, you can also use regular tomatoes, cut into bite-size chunks, as well. Regardless of the kind of tomatoes you use, the tomato paste reinforces the flavor and contributes richness. You may be tempted to drop the wine, but don’t. It adds real depth of flavor. If you don’t have or don’t want to open a bottle of wine, add a splash of dry vermouth.
A Complete, Protein-Rich Meal In A Bowl
Together the chickpeas and rice create a protein-rich dinner. And the tomatoes and spinach make it a complete meal in a bowl. With rice made, this meal is what to make when everyone is hungry and ready to eat right now!
Greek Tomato & Chickpea Rice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon chopped fennel seeds
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cans (15-16 oz each) chickpeas, drained
- 1 package (16 oz) frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, plus extra for sprinkling
- 3 cups cooked rice (here's our recipe: Pot of Rice)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Planetarian Feta (or store-bought dairy or plant-based), for sprinkling, optional
- Heat oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, tomatoes, fennel seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender and tomatoes start to break down, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; continue to cook until fragrant, a minute or so longer. Stir in tomato paste; cook to intensify flavors, another minute or two. Stir in white wine and cook until almost evaporated, another minute or so. Stir in chickpeas and spinach, followed by the rice and oregano; cook to heat through. Serve immediately with optional feta and a sprinkle of oregano.