It’s easy to make a Planetarian burger. We offer a variety of bean burger recipes on our site, as well as one using portobello mushrooms. Falafel Burgers, however, are among our new favorites. Unlike a ground beef patty, these burgers are highly seasoned with garlic, onion, spices and a big handful each of cilantro and parsley, which give them great flavor and a beautiful green hue.
How to Cook Falafel Burgers
To cook falafel burgers, heat two tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Once the oil starts to shimmer and whisps of smoke start to rise, add four patties. (To cook two patties, use a medium skillet, and for one patty, use a small skillet). Cook on strong medium, leaving the patties in place until an impressive brown crust forms, four to five minutes. Turn the burgers only one time, at about the halfway point, and continue to cook until an impressive brown crust forms on the remaining side, about 4 minutes longer.
The Right Bun & Toppings Make it Even Better
After that, it’s time to dress and enjoy the burger. With a hint of butter and eggs to flavor and color them, brioche buns are still our favorite for these burgers. They’re not cheap, but their tender, yet substantial texture and rich buttery flavor make these burgers the best they can be.
We like classic burger toppings, but with a twist. Instead of mayonnaise and mustard, we prefer Tahini Dressing. It’s just a matter of whisking 1/2 cup each water and tahini with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice and a pinch of salt, so it’s easy to make in the moment. We like onions too—the Pickled Pink ones in our Essentials section. If you don’t have time to make them, just add a couple of thinly sliced red onion and compensate with a few mild pickle slices from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Tender butter lettuce covers the burger bun so attractively and a slightly salted tomato slice completes the burger. Those looking for a little kick, spread on a little harissa or squirt a bit of Sriracha, or Sambal Oelek
- 1/2 recipe Falafel—Baked or Pan Fried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 recipe Tahini Dressing
- 4 Burger buns, lightly toasted
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced and lightly salted
- Pickled Pink Onions*
- Follow recipe for Falafel—Baked or Pan Fried, forming half of the mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over strong medium heat. Add patties and cook until well browned on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip patties and continue to cook until well browned on remaining side, about 4 minutes longer, adding a splash more oil, if necessary, to keep burgers sizzling.
- Meanwhile, spread desired amount of Tahini Dressing on buns. Top bottom bun with a lettuce leaf, the burger, and pickled onions. Cap and serve.