This is a Variation on a Root Formula, a simplified recipe that shows which ingredients
are core and which can be changed to create different flavor combinations or use what you
have on hand. See our other variations at the bottom of the Root Formula page.
Cumin Quinoa Skillet Supper with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 4 cups *(1/2 recipe) cooked quinoa from A Pot of Quinoa*
- 1 onion, cut into medium dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound each: zucchini, cut into medium dice, and halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons each: cumin and smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (15-16 oz each) black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for sprinkling
- If you don't already have cooked quinoa, make a pot (you will only need a half recipe for this dish) and prepare onions, garlic, and vegetables while quinoa cooks.
- Heat oil in a large (12-inch) skillet. Add onions and zucchini; cook until softened, seasoning with 1/2 teaspoon salt, several grinds of pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano and adding tomatoes and garlic the last couple of minutes, about 5 minutes total.
- Stir in quinoa and black beans; cook to heat through, just a couple of minutes. Stir in cilantro, adjust seasonings, and serve, sprinkling each portion with extra chopped cilantro.