We know it’s hard to believe, but if you have roasted leeks and potatoes on hand from Roasted Spring Vegetables, this gorgeous, flavorful, fancy galette can be yours for weeknight dinner. Start with a box or package of puff pastry—if you can find it, the Wewalka brand is dairy free. Roll the pastry out a little, top it with sliced roasted potatoes and diced leeks from Roasted Spring Vegetables. Then flavor it with fresh dill, chopped walnut, and crumbled dairy- or plant-based feta. After folding in the pastry sides, brush the galette with beaten egg or aquafaba, and bake until rich golden brown, about thirty minutes.
During this unattended cooking time, you’ve got plenty of time to throw together a salad, set the table, or catch up on other work. When the times up, pull out the tart, cut it into rectangles or squares, and serve it up. It’s just that simple.
Puff Pastry Sizes
As for puff pastry, the sheets come in many shapes and weights. If using brands like Wewalka (13.2 ounces) or Dufour (14 ounces), roll the pastry into a, approximate 15- by 10-inch rectangle. If using nationally available Pepperidge Farm puff pastry (17.3 ounces), simply roll one of the sheets into a 12- by 12-inch square. No need to pull out the ruler. These measurements are meant to be a guide. Approximate lengths and widths are good enough!
As you can see, there are very few ingredients in this tart, but each one plays an important role. Leek and potatoes offer complementary, foundational flavor and texture, the dill and feta add piquancy, and the chopped walnuts offer earthy crunch.
Serving this Potato Galette
This galette is perfect for so many different occasions. Cut them into small squares for a fun pre-dinner nibble—it’s nearly always how we enjoy the leftovers. Cut them into bigger pieces for a satisfying, brunch, lunch, or even a dinner first- or main course. If your feta is plant-based, you’ve got a special dish just about anyone can enjoy!
Roasted Leek and Potato Galette with Feta and Walnuts
- 1 sheet puff pastry from a 13- to 17-ounce package
- All of the leeks (about 1 1/4 cups) and half of the potatoes (about 2 cups) from Roasted Spring Vegetables
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup crumbled Planetarian Feta (or store-bought dairy or plant-based)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Egg white or aquafaba for brushing
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Depending on the brand of puff pastry*, roll dough on parchment into a rough 12-in square or 10- by 15-inch rectangle, and then slide it onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the leeks in medium dice and thinly slice the potatoes. Lay potatoes in a single layer over puff pastry, leaving a 1- to 1 1/2-inch border all the way around. Sprinkle potatoes with half the dill and toss leeks with remaining dill; scatter leeks over the potatoes. Sprinkle leeks with feta and then walnuts. Fold dough border over filling and brush to coat with egg white or aquafaba.
- Bake galette until deep golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let rest a few minutes; cut and serve.