This is a Root Formula, a simplified recipe that shows which ingredients are core and which can be changed to create different flavor combinations or use what you have on hand.
See our Variations on this Formula below.
Our Planetarian muffin formula offers the perfect balance between decadence and health. Chockfull of good-for-you yummy extras, a little scoop of whole wheat flour, a glug of molasses, and the chia seed stand-in for eggs, these plant-based muffins are great for an on-the-run breakfast. Yet, the bold flavors, the rich, tender texture, and the studded top make them feel like something you picked up at a specialty bakery on the weekend.
As with all of our formulas, we give you the root formula here followed by variations, so that you can bake up a batch of muffins that we developed for you or create your own.
Ginger-Smacked Blueberry-Walnut Muffins
Lemon-Rosemary Muffins with Raisins and Pine Nuts
Morning Glorious Muffins
Holiday Cranberry Muffins
Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Jam-Filled Peanut Butter Muffins
Apple-Walnut Muffins with Crumble Topping
We give you the option to make these muffins traditionally with eggs and dairy yogurt, but we’re hoping you give the Planetarian version a try to see just how delicious these muffins can be with chia seeds and plant-based yogurt.
Make a batch, enjoy a few, and then freeze the rest for the week. They microwave to perfection with one minute on defrost and followed by twenty seconds on high power.
Planetarian Muffins (A Root Formula)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each: baking soda and salt
- Spices/Flavorings, optional
- 10 tablespoons coconut oil or plant-based butter (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 10 tablespoons (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (not Greek), plant-based or dairy
- Extras, See Variations
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and optional Spices/Flavorings in a medium bowl.
- Beat coconut oil, sugar, and molasses with an electric mixer over medium-high speed until light and fluffy, a minute or so. Beat in chia seed mixture, then 1/2 of the dry ingredients, followed by 1/3 of the yogurt. Continue beating in dry ingredients, alternating with yogurt, in two more rounds to make a stiff batter. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in most of the Extras. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable cooking spray. Use a large ice cream scoop to divide batter evenly among the cups. (They will be full.) Press a portion of the remaining Extras into each mound of batter so that they adhere. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Set on a wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.