One Simple Swap: In this column, Planetarians share solutions that we know and trust and use that are “less-bad” than a lot of other products in the world. Each week, we will introduce you to something to ponder and, we hope, act upon – a product or a habit or a conversation starter. Before you replace your old favorite products, consider a Simple Swap!
Two years ago, we were gifted an Instant Pot. What a life-changer! Induction cooking is amazing and efficient, but the traditional method of cooking beans, rice, and grains takes time, energy, and oversight.
Instant Pot Benefits:
- FAST cooking.
- Significantly less energy use.
- Less need for canned beans (fewer BPA can linings, less trash and recycling).
- Improves texture and flavor.
- You control ingredients – no salt, flavorings, additives, or preservatives.
- Customizable settings.
- Multiple cooking methods: sous vide, yogurt making, slow cooking, steaming, sautéing, and especially pressure cooking.
- Easy cleanup.
- Contains cooking humidity and smells.
- Set it and let it do its work, unchaperoned.
Laura & Gil
Our friends Laura & Gil Richardson are, in their own words, “imperfect” but they are much further down this Planetarian path than anyone I know. They are a treasure trove of sustainable living inspiration and we’ve asked them to share one simple swap per week that they’ve made (and the products they love) in hopes it might inspire you to make them, too.