Single-use plastics are such a big part of our everyday lives that it can be hard to recognize just how much we’re purchasing.
One important way to cut down on single-use plastics is to switch to Planetarian personal care products. Shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, and lotions are all a great place to start.
We’re not perfect, but we’ve started making swaps. In most cases, not only are we reducing our single-use plastics, we’re also finding the products to be superior!
Did You Know…
Here are a few facts that might motivate you to start making the shift:
- Every year we make over 300 million tons of plastic for our use and eventual disposal.
- Around 8% of the world’s oil production is used to make plastic (not including transportation, marketing, or disposal).
- Accounting for 80% of all marine debris, an estimated 14 million tons of plastic end up in our oceans every year.
- Only 10% of plastic is actually recycled.
- The other 90% end up in landfills and the environment, taking up to 450 years to break down.
- Some plastic is shipped thousands of miles to be dumped or burned.
- Because of microplastics in our food and water, every week we consume the equivalent of a credit card worth of it.
Here’s What You Can Do:
It’s not easy to shift to more Planetarian personal care products. Thus, this week’s podcast is about our challenges and successes.
And when making the switch, don’t toss the products you’ve already got! Use them up before replacing them with more sustainable alternatives.
Here are some shops and products that we have found work really well.
Online Zero Waste Shops We Love
Favorite Earth-Friendly Swaps
- Unpaste “Toothpaste” Tabs or Bite “Toothpaste” Bits
- Shampoo & Conditioner (I use the purple one for my blonde hair, but there are other options)
- Hairspray (You dump it in a bottle and send back the plastic package to be sanitized and reused)
- Hey Humans Deodorant (available at Target & Walgreens) or Meow Meow Tweet Deodorant
- Blueland Soap (or any bar soap rather than liquid soap!)
- Beeswax Wraps (instead of plastic wrap)
- Compostable Garbage Bags
- Laundry Detergent Sheets
- Wool Dryer Balls
- Compostable Doggie Bags (I use them for diapers when traveling)
Looking for more inspiration to be a greener, more Planetarian version of yourself this year? Sign-up to receive our weekly “Greener You” Challenges!