This is a Root Formula, a simplified recipe that shows which ingredients are core and which can be changed to create different flavor combinations or use what you have on hand.
See our Variations on this Formula below.
All-Purpose Fruit Salsa (A Root Formula)
- 2 cups Fruit, cut into small dice
- 1/4 medium red onion cut into small dice or 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 yellow or red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 jalapeño, other hot pepper, or 1 tablespoon hot green or red pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, mint, basil, or parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or rice wine vinegar
- Spices, optional
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Peaches or nectarines
- Oranges (or a combination of oranges and grapefruits)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin or chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Mix all ingredients. Let stand a few minutes for flavors to blend. Serve.